Yearly journal of scientific articles “Pravova derzhava” Volume 30 (2019),
Liashenko R.D. Casual judicial interpretation: concept and principles.
The term “casual” comes from the word “incident”, which in translation from latin means “case”, “a separate fact”. A casual interpretation involves clarifying legal norms in relation to a particular life fact.
The casual interpretation in the legal doctrine is distinguished as a form of official interpretation of the rules of law.
The peculiarity of the casual interpretation is that it has a person-oriented character and is relevant to specific circumstances. A casual interpretation can not go beyond the boundaries of a particular legal case and apply to similar cases. The difference between the normative interpretation and the casual is that the former may extend to an unspecified range of cases, and the second one to the incident that was the subject of a dispute.
Subjects of casual interpretation are the judicial and administrative bodies. Clarification of the content of the law by the judiciary is a judicial interpretation.
The official constitutional interpretation of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine is carried out in providing opinions on cases of constitutionality of laws and other legal acts, compliance with the Constitution of Ukraine of international treaties, adherence to the procedure of investigation and consideration of the case of removal of the President of Ukraine from office in the order of impeachment.
The supreme court’s interpretation of the case largely influences judicial practice. Courts, in court cases, carry out a casual interpretation of the rules of law and develop case-law on the application of the rules of law.
The casual judicial interpretation is the interpretive activity of the court in the process of reviewing and resolving court cases (or in the order of their review by the appellate or cassation instances), the purpose of which is a correct understanding of the content of the legal norm. His task is the individualization of legal requirements, and the result is binding only for a specific court case and parties involved in it. The acts of the casual interpretation of the higher judicial bodies are “samples” for lower courts, given that they are always guided by the practice of interpretation and application of the law by the highest judicial authorities and, as a rule, follow it.
Characteristic features of the casual judicial interpretation is that its subjects are judges of all courts, it is directed at the consideration and resolution of a particular court case, the results of such an interpretation are binding only for the parties to a specific court case and are fixed in the motive part of the decision.
The principles of casual judicial interpretation are: impartiality, substantiation of conclusions, comprehensiveness, objectivity, unambiguousness, competence.
Key words: casual judicial interpretation, principles of interpretation, acts of casual judicial interpretation.
1. Skakun O. F. Teoriia prava i derzhavy: pidruch. Kyiv, 2013. S. 450.
2. Kravchuk M. V. Teoriia derzhavy i prava. // Problemy teorii derzhavy i prava: navch. posib. Ternopil, 2002. S. 170.
3. Onishchenko N. M. Kazualne tlumachennia // Yurydychna entsyklopediia / za red. Yu.S. Shemshuchenka. URL: http://leksika.com.ua/10440320/legal/kazualne_tlumachennya (data zvernennia: 16.12.2018).
4. Voplenko N. N. Vidy y akty ofitsyalnoho tolkovanyia prava. Leninhradskyi yuridycheskii zhurnal : nauchno-teoretycheskyi y ynformatsyonno-praktycheskyi mezhrehyonalnûi zhurnal. 2008. ¹ 2 (12). S. 38.
5. Alekseev S. S. Obshchaia teoriia prava. Kurs v 2-kh tomakh. T. 2. Moskva : Yuryd. lit., 1982. S. 311.
6. Kaplina O. V. Pravozastosovne tlumachennia norm kryminalno-protsesualnoho prava: monohrafiia. Kharkiv : Pravo, 2008. S. 231.
7. Shapoval V. Ofitsiine tlumachennia yak funktsiia Konstytutsiinoho Sudu (problemy teorii). Visnyk Konstytutsiinoho Sudu Ukrainy. 1999. ¹ 3. S. 54.
8. Kaplina O. V. Pravozastosovne tlumachennia sudom norm kryminalno-protsesualnoho prava : dys. … dokt. yuryd. nauk : 12.00.09. Kharkiv. 2009. S. 197.
9. Kostiuk O. M. Teoretyko-pravovi zasady normatyvnoho tlumachennia: dys. … kand. yuryd. nauk : 12.00.01. Ivano-Frankivsk, 2017. S. 110.
10. Koreiba I. V. Ofitsiine tlumachennia yak povnovazhennia Konstytutsiinoho Sudu Ukrainy // Pravo i bezpeka. 2009. ¹ 5. S. 15.
11. Kostiuk O. M. Nazvana pratsia. S. 146.
12. Voplenko N. N. Nazvana pratsia. S. 41.
13. Hurak S. Z. Tlumachennia pravovykh norm: suchasni pidkhody ta tekhnika zdiisnennia: dys. … kand. yuryd. nauk: 12.00.01. Kyiv, 2014. S. 79–80.
14. Piholkin A. S. Tolkovanie normatyvnykh aktov v SSSR. Moskva, 1962. S. 153.
15. Kaplina O.V. Nazvana pratsia. S. 93.
16. Kaplina O.V. Pravozastosovne tlumachennia sudom norm kryminalno-protsesualnoho prava : avtoref. dys. ... d-ra yuryd. nauk : 12.00.09. Kharkiv, 2009. S. 15.
17. Shevchuk S. Sudova pravotvorchist: svitovyi dosvid i perspektyvy v Ukraini. Kyiv : Referat, 2007. S. 277.