Yearly journal of scientific articles “Pravova derzhava”
Volume 34 (2023), 69-77 p.
Tymoshenko Vira. Implementation of human rights in the modern world: challenges and threats
The peculiarities of the realization of human rights under the conditions of various challenges and threats are covered. The mechanism for the realization of human rightsis considered as a set of legal means of implementing human rights in life, which is revealed in two interrelated aspects – static and dynamic. The realization of human rights can be hindered by various circumstances: inefficiency of legislation, inactivity of civil society, authoritarian political regime, terrorism, etc. The article is focused on terrorism. Countering terrorism is a complex task that involves a system of measures that do not always contribute to the realization of human rights, but they are necessary to ensure the safety of both a person and the entire society. Threats related to terrorism actualize theoretical studies of the possibilities of countering terrorism and creating conditions for the proper realization of human and citizen rights and freedoms. The purpose of the article is to study the specifics of the influence of terrorism on the process of realizing human rights in the modern world and to indicate ways to prevent this influence. The methodology of the article consists of dialectical and phenomenological approaches, as well as formal-logical, formal-dogmatic, formal-legal, systemic and structural-functional methods. The conclusions state that terrorismis a significant obstacle on the way to the realization of human rights. Terrorism can be characterized as the commission of ideologically motivated violent crimes with the aim of destabilizing society, influencing politics, and intimidating people. Rights and freedoms may be restricted in connection with a terrorist threat, but the restrictions must be proportionate to the threat. At the same time, the elimination of obstacles to the realization of human rights helps to overcome the motivation of certain individuals to engage in terrorist activities. The proper implementation of rights and freedoms is possible under the condition of creating effective mechanisms for overcoming social contradictions, achieving a social compromise, ending financial support for terrorism and illegal weapons trafficking, and effective counter measures against the formation of a terrorist personality.
Key words: implementation of human rights, society, threat, terror, migrants.
1. Stefanchuk R., Hladun O. Vprovadzhennya yevropeysʹkykh standartiv u sferi prav lyudyny v natsionalʹne zakonodavstvo shchodo prymusovoho hoduvannya uvʺyaznenykh.Pravo Ukrayiny. 2022. ¹ 10. S. 27–41 [ukr.].
2. Omelchuk O. M., Hrynko S. D., IvanovskaA. M., Misinkevych A. L., Antoniuk V. V. Protection of human rights in the context of the development of the rule of law principle: The international aspect. Journal of the NationalAcademy of Legal Scinces of Ukraine. 2021. Vol. 28(1). P. 32–42.
3. Dobrianskiy S. Legalsecurity of human rights in the European Union: current stance and perspectives of development. Journal of the National Academy of Legal Sciences of Ukraine. 2019. Vol. 26(4). P. 55–72.
4. Karpachova N.I. The role of international human rights organisations in the context of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine. Journal of the National Academy of Legal Scinces of Ukraine. 2021. Vol. 28(1). P. 24–31.
5. Teroryzm: kryminolohichna determinatsiya I kryminalʹno-pravova protydiya: monohrafiya / V. V. Sereda, I. R. Serkevych; za zah. red. V.S. Kantsira. Lʹviv: LʹvDUVS, 2016. 188 s. [ukr.].
6. Luca Guido Valla. Citizens Perceptionsof Security Issues: New and Old Actors in the National Security Framework. Journal of Human Security. 2022. Vol. 18(1). doi: 10.12924/johs2022.18010018
7. Pro borotʹbu z teroryzmom: Zakon Ukrayiny vid 20 bereznya 2003 ¹ 638-IV. URL: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/638-15[ukr.].
8. Vazhna K. A. Problemy vyznachennya ponyattya ysutnosti teroryzmu v mizhnarodnomu pravi. Mizhnarodni vidnosyny: teoretyko-praktychniaspekty. 2021. ¹8. S. 137–151. https://doi.org/10.31866/2616-745x.8.2021.249036 [ukr.].
9. Za chas viyny 5 mln ukrayintsiv vtratyly robotu, 7 mln vyyikhaly z krayiny, –Minekonomiky. 20 lystopada 2022. URL.: https://espreso.tv/za-chas-viyni-5-mln-ukraintsivvtratili-robotu-7-mln-viikhali-z-kraini-minekonomiki [ukr.].
10. Vira I. Tymoshenko, SergiyI. Maksymov, Larysa O. Makarenko, Îlena S. Kravchenko, Sergiy S. Kravchenko. Threats to human rights in a globalized world. Amazonia Investiga. 2021. Vol.10. Issue 39. P. 9-15. doi: https://doi.org/10.34069/AI/2021.39.03.1
11. Burcu Savun, Christian Gineste. From Protection to Persecution: Threat Environment and Refugee Scapegoating. Journal of PeaceResearch. 2019. Vol. 56. ¹ 1. P. 88–102. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022343318811432
12. Tobias Böhmelt, Vincenzo Bove. Does cultural proximity contain terrorism diffusion?Journal of Peace Research. 2020. Vol. 57(2). P. 251–264. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022343319864425
13. Papakin H. Pislya peremohy, abo novyy svitovyyporyadok. URL.: https://day.kyiv.ua/uk/blog/istoriya/pislya-peremogy-abo-novyy-svitovyyporyadok[ukr.].
14. Mizhnarodna konventsiya pro borotʹbu iz zakhoplennyam zaruchnykiv.17 hrudnya 1979 roku. URL.: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_087 [ukr.].
15. ScottRadnitz. Perceived threats and the trade-off between security and human rights. Journal ofPeace Research. 2022. Vol. 59(3). P. 367–381. https://doi.org/10.1177/00223433211020809
16. Kevin R. Carriere, Anna Hallahan, Fathali M. Moghaddam. Group Processes &Intergroup Relations. 2022. Vol. 25(1). P. 247–279. https://doi.org/10.1177/1368430220962563
17. European Convention on the Compensation of Victims of Violent Crimes Strasbourg,24.XI.1983. URL.: https://rm.coe.int/1680079751