Yearly journal of scientific articles “Pravova derzhava”
Volume 34 (2023), 316-325 p.
Yuschenko Olexiy. The main directions of the digitalization of justice in the context of providing the constitutional right of a person to judicial protection
The article highlights the main directions of the digitalization of justice in the context of providing the constitutional right of a person to judicial protection, examines the main types of digital systems in justice, analyses each of these systems and provides for their further improvement and implementation. Special attention is paid by the author of Artificial Intelligence.
The author identifies four main types of digital systems in justice: 1) digital systems for ensuring interaction between the court and the participants in the case; 2) digital systems for holding court sessions online; 3) digital systems for information analysis and generation of draft court decisions and other documents; 4) digital justice delivery systems.
Based on the conducted research, the author concludes that the main directions of further digitization of the judiciary should be:
- ensuring a full exchange of electronic documents between the parties to the caseusing the «Digital Court” system;
- implementation of artificial intelligence systems in the process of justice, aimed at helping judges and employees of court apparatuses, as well as providing legal assistance to persons who intend to go to court;
- as for artificial intelligence systems that will decide court cases without the involvement of a judge, the author considers it expedient to introduce in some courts a pilot project on the application of AI systems with the mandatory consent of the partiesin solving “typical cases” that are considered in the first instance without the participation of the parties and in respect of which there is an established judicial practice.
The further development of digital systems in the judiciary will contribute to increasing the level of implementation of the constitutional right of citizens to judicial protection due to improved access to the court, as well as reducing the burden on judges.
Key words: digitalization of justice; the main directions of the digitalization ofjustice; a constitutional right of a person to judicial protection, digital judge,digitalization of justice systems, digitalization of court proceedings.
1. The Law of Ukraine “On Judiciary and judges status law”. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1402-19#Text.
2. The Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Ensuring the Phased Implementation of the Unified Judicial Information and Telecommunication System”.
3. Bezhevets A. M. Elektronne sudochinstvo yak neobhidniy element tsifrivoi transformatsii suspistva ta derzhavi. Infornatsia i pravo. ¹ 4(35)/2020. P. 142–146.
4. Constitution of Ukraine. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254ê/96-âð#n4348.
5. Bezhevets A. M. Elektronne sudochinstvo yak neobhidniy element tsifrivoi transformatsii suspistva ta derzhavi. Infornatsia i pravo. ¹ 4(35)/2020. P. 142–146.
6. Brintsev O. V.”Electronniy sud” v Ukraini. Dosvid ta perspectivi: monografi a. Kharkiv: Pravo. 2016. 72 p.(seria “Innovatsiyne suspilstvo I rozvitok zakonodavstva”).
7. Kozakevich O. M. Zabeapechennya dostupu do pravosuudya v tranzitivnih umovah: Dis. … doct. Filosofi i:081. Odesa, 2021, 220 p.
8. Decree of the President of Ukraine “On the Strategy for the Development of the Justice System and Constitutional Judiciary for 2021–2023”. URL:https://www.president.gov.ua/documents/2312021-39137.
9. Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On Approval of the Concept of Development of Artificial Intelligencein Ukraine”. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-2020-ð#Text.
10. Kamener L. Courting change: the verdict on AI and the courts. The Centre for Public Impact. URL:https://www.centreforpublicimpact.org/courting-change-verdict-ai-courts.
11. The same.
12. Sourdin T. Justice and Technological Innovation. Access to Justice. 2015. Paper 42. 12 p.P. 1.
13. The same.
14. Engle E.A. An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Legal Reasoning:Using x Talk to Model the Alien Tort Claims Act and Torture Victim Protection Act.Richmond Journal of Law & Technology. 2004. Vol. XI. No 1. P. 2. URL: http://jolt.richmond.edu/jolt-archive/v11i1/ arti-cle2.pdf.
15. Theodore W. Ruger, Pauline T. Kim,Andrew D. Martin, Kevin M. Quinn. The Supreme Court forecasting project: legal andpolitical science approaches to predicting Supreme Court decisionmaking. URL: https://www.law.upenn.edu/cf/faculty/truger/workingpapers/104ColumLR1150.pdf.
16. Pravove zabezpechennya virtualizatsiyi infrastruktury natsionalʹnoyi ekonomiky Ukrayiny: monohrafi ya / O. V. Shapovalova, L. S. Shevchenko, A. V. Strizhkova ta in.; za red. S. V. Hlibka, A. V. Strizhkovoyi. Kharkiv: NDI prav. zabezp. innovats. rozvytku NAPrN Ukrayiny, 2019. 184 p. P. 92–115.